Monday 6 January 2014

Anti-foul fun

After a full day of scraping, scraping and more scraping, it was time to sand the entire hull/S, that's 2 x hulls! I looked like an avatar covered in blue dust. Glad that the local chandlery had gloves and masks even if they charge a fortune for anything they sell.  

The ferry workers were back on the job, not getting great vibes from most of crew hanging around. There are some large boxes being stored under the boat and some pretty shifty looking characters come in all times day and night to rustle through. Its a little dodgy but I guess a convenient location being right next to the docks and its pretty private under my boat, between the hulls...The guys are clearly not too impressed that I'm on the boat 24/7. Its not my fault I'm disturbing their smuggling operation... The sooner I can get in the water the better!! I built a lock for the door today for night-time. Its technologically advanced and consists of half a broom stick wedged in the sliding door.

I haven't really stopped working since I got here, but I do love it. Got the batteries charged and tested by Polo the sparky, one of the good guys, he was really helpful. The batteries were given the thumbs up! Great news for the budget! Also took off the sail drive covers underneath the hull. The cavity was literally filled with sea life, shells and sea worms. I sanded back all the metal of the sail drives and the props and coated them in a special undercoat and paint designed for underwater metal. While I was at it I also sanded back and painted the external brass thru-hull fittings, which I finished with a head torch after dinner. All ready for the big antifoul day tomorrow!!



You can see the locals 'storage' boxes under the hulls...


No comments:

Post a Comment