Monday 6 January 2014

Our first major anchor challenge happened early one morning, we got up early as we needed to go into Tortola and started hauling the anchor, it was straining and struggling and I thought it was stuck on the reef which was strange because the bottom was sand and I always check there is no reef around when anchoring. Then we saw the mother of all rocks being dragged to the surface. So much for the early start! It was dangerous work trying to free the chain in wildly gusting winds and surging swell and I didn't want to get my hands anywhere near the chain in case I got jammed. We launched the tender to have a better look. The chain was wrapped 3 x times and knotted under the rock, unbelievable. The only way I could free it was by smashing the rock with an iron bar until I managed to break to the top half of the rock away piece by piece and then spin the rock out of the chain. Our celebration was short lived as  we didn't notice in all of our desperate rock antics that the tender lead rope had positioned itself nicely under the prop. As I engaged the motors the port seized and we quickly realised the rope was securely wrapped a billion times around the prop. We managed to motor to a nearby moring on the starboard motor, the tender dutifully following us on a very short reign. After all the excitement, I needed a swim anyway and finally we un-tangled the prop and we were off!




No comments:

Post a Comment